Friday, July 11, 2014

Working out

        It was exactly 3 months after I sat for the professional exam M.D. UKM 2013/2014, yet I'm still jobless =( The most I could do is give a 'like' to my friends from UM (University of Malaya) who just started working last week. We finished our pro exam on the same day, yet, our fate was different. Thanks to the academic office of UKM for sending in our results late. I think because we missed the induction camp in late June and had to wait for the next one.

        So three months, and maybe more to come down the line (damnit) has been a long one and I decided to hit the gyms. However, I could not be attached to one because I have yet to know where I would be working in. As such, I have been gym hopping using Groupon vouchers which grants me a month's access to the facilities. Membership prices are just a guide and are thus, not that accurate. So far, I have been to four, so let's check out how they look:


GYM 1: Absolute fitness (Sunway Carnival Mall, Seberang Jaya)


        I just trespassed visited the gym twice. It was the first time I had entered and experienced the so called high class gym. I was amazed by the setup and environment of the gym. It was the gym that I would place 
my money and heart in it. Unfortunately, I'm still jobless and hence, could only watch from the side. Absolute fitness have a total of five gyms in Penang (Only in Penang aiyoh~)  



The cardio area. There are many screens with different channels. Marvelous for those using the treadmills and bicycles.



The cardio area. Not bad actually. Quite fully equipped. 


        If I'm able to work in Penang permanently and choose a gym, this would be my ultimate choice =) Looking forward to that day. 

Membership price: RM75-RM115


GYM 2: Global fitness gym (Jalan Masjid Negeri - or so called Greenlane)


The look from the outside




Barbells and dumbbells 




Cardio machines


         Generally the gym was cosy and quite fully equipped. The inside was air-conditioned with dim lightings. I personally like this gym but it takes me 15 minutes to reach (without jam). However, due to mismanagement it has closed down. Full stop.

Membership price: out of service


GYM 3: Jatomi fitness (7th floor Gurney Plaza)


Jatomi Penang Branch is located inside Gurney Plaza, the popular shopping mall in town. As it is located in a high-class mall, one can expect it to be quite up to standards. 


The weight's area. Pretty impressive huh? This is just part of the area.



Cardio machines, also part of it. At the end is the body studio where classes are conducted. The boast a variety of classes, from the relaxing Zumba and Yoga to the strenuous Body Step and Body Pump. I have posted on one of the classes earlier in my blog. It's about body pump. You may be interested to look at their classes schedules on their website


The cross fit area where group classes are conducted. Otherwise, most people use this place for abs exercises. 


        After being drenched in sweat, the best ever thing a gym can offer is a well equipped changing room. Jatomi has it. Their lockers are locked using the same wristband u check in the club. Frankly speaking, this is the part I look forward the most after an intense workout - take a soothing bath and get really refreshed. This is the best gym I've patronised so far.

        Jatomi also operates in Petaling Jaya, KL and Johor Bahru. For more details, check it out on their website

Membership price: RM85-115


GYM 4: Orient fitness (Jalan Perak Branch)




It was quite hard to spot this. Just remember that it's just above SenHeng Perak Road. 


Weights section



Cardio section




        The sad part of this gym is the lack of air-condition (it is open-windowed with fans) and the distance from my house (5.5km is considered far in Penang). The toilet/bathroom is also not exciting. Never thought o f having my shower before going home. Aside from that, it was very well equipped with all types of machines and weights for different parts of the body. There are also two other branches in Penang, which can be found on their facebook website. 

Membership price: RM 66.50





       There is one more gym located opposite this Orient fitness. It seemed that gyms were everywhere and I was frantically looking for one as soon as I stepped back to Penang, as though there were only a bunch of them. I bet there would be more in town. It's just that they do not appear on Groupon. 

       Overall, I still loved the conducive and relaxed atmosphere of Absolute Fitness and Jatomi Fitness. Those were the high class gyms that I would subscribe to once I get my hands on my paycheck. But Absolute Fitness would be my first choice due to the cheaper price and also more outlets in Penang Island. Looking forward to being a member in Absolute Fitness =)


YikPing
912pm

No comments:

Post a Comment