Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Panic Attack !

     It still sends a chill down my spine when I recall the 'panic' incident I witnessed in the ward just before I had lunch.

     I was strolling towards the canteen when the alarm bell lighted up. The high pitched siren was screaming across the doorway. Seemed that there was a situation in the male ward as the yellow colour light was blipping. I turned my back and headed towards the ward with intrigue. As I headed towards the ward, a staff nurse was asking me about the whereabouts of the security guard while the other said that one patient tried to escape. Cool isn't it?

     Standing on the counter was the patient who was requesting to talk to the doctor. According to him, he wanted to go out and meet with the consultant in charge of him. Although I was not really clear about the situation out there, it seemed to me that the patient was disappointed by the decision made by the staff nurse. The gate into the ward was locked too.

     The situation was tense as the alarm sounded but no security personnel were present. As the patient started to demand for the doctor and becoming aggressive, some nurses had to prepare with Haloperidol and Midazolam just in case there is a need of it. The nurse(male) was making a deal with the patient that if he receives his injection, everything will be fine and no one gets hurt.

     Since the patient did not wish to cooperate, the middle cubicle(where he is located) was immediately emptied. Patients and medical students were required to step out while security personnel who had just arrived moved in. The tussle was a 'mild' one as the patient was quickly pushed towards the ground. And it required 6 men to get him lie still. Interestingly, another patient (Mr H), who just had his injection this morning for losing control, was there to stabilize him too. How cute =)

     It's rather terrifying to witness one and i doubt if I would be interested to witness another event as such. On the other hand, I felt sad that the patient was sedated and had all four limbs tied to the bed. Is there any other method to calm the patient down? Hmm....Ohya, and the best part of it? Mr H was seen consoling the patient throughout the struggle and telling him that everything is fine, just like a friend in need. At least, that is heartwarming!


YikPing
147pm

No comments:

Post a Comment